Wednesday, May 20, 2015

3 Things: Too Much British Fiction Edition

Have I mentioned how insane May has been? There are at least six birthdays that I can think of off the top of my head, plus the school crams in multiple events per week, we've had several doctors and dentist appointments and all the regularly scheduled programming. Yet, I'm feeling weirdly energized by it all. I can't tell if I've just got my stuff together or if I'm about to crash and burn any day now. I think maybe having the end of school in sight is helping me sprint to the finish. That and the gallons of coffee. Anyway, here are some things we've been enjoying this week.

Reading:
The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. Apparently I've been on a British fiction kick. This is very Downton-esque except everyone is less likable. The book starts strong: it's the late 1800's and Cora Cash is fabulously wealthy and about to go abroad to look for a titled husband. The story is well written and follows several different characters, both rich and poor, which gives a more complete picture but, as I mentioned before, many of these characters have pretty horrible motives. I really wanted to like the story, and it was a compelling read, just a little depressing. Maybe this is a sign I need to break out of this British fiction rut.


Watching:  
 

We've been watching Daredevil on Netflix. We're only three episodes in so I can't make a judgement on it yet, but I'm having trouble really getting into it. I've realized that while I love the Marvel movies (who doesn't at this point) I'm not sure I want to watch an entire season of it. I think it's going to pick up and get good but it's pretty gory and the main character isn't really all that likeable. Must keep reminding myself it's a comic book, stop trying to make it make sense.


Another thing I saw this week was the music video to Ed Sheeran's new song Photograph. The song is good, I love Ed Sheeran, but I'm putting it in the "watching" category because the video makes me cry. It's home movies of him growing up to become a world famous singer but oh man...all the feels. Little boys become men. Sigh.




Listening:

Arkells - Leather Jacket. I don't know why I like this song so much. It's like it's wormed it's way into my brain because I can't stop singing the chorus. I didn't think much of it at first but by now both Sean and I keep humming it.

No comments :