Thursday, September 2, 2010

Things You Don't Want to Hear From the Babysitter

Sean and I went out on a three hour cruise around the Charleston harbor with five of his coworkers last night. I had really wanted to go but we were uncertain about finding a babysitter. The girl who had watched Aiden last time is due with her own son this week. No way was I asking a nine months pregnant woman to please corral my two year old.

In a crazy twist, Sean's coworker and his wife, who are expecting their first baby this December (there is something in the water here I swear!) offered to come over. I was a little nervous because Aiden has really only had friends and family watch him. This spring we had a woman come watch him for a few weeks, but her two daughters also came, and so he was pretty well behaved. Our babysitter here, Cassie, only came over once we had gotten him ready for/into bed. So, these two were about to face the ultimate challenge of getting Aiden ready for bed and putting him to sleep, since we'd be gone until 10pm.

I tried to convince myself that since they were strangers Aiden would probably be behaved. That's what we call: WISHFUL THINKING. Also, this man is a Naval Officer, which means he is trained to handle life threatening emergencies, so really, a two year old should be no sweat. RIGHT?

Well, the minute they walked in Aiden was dragging them over to play trains. And watch a movie. And play cars. We had to run since our ride was waiting in the parking lot, so we left Sean's cell number and headed out. Obviously, half way to the restaurant where the boat would be leaving from, it occurred to me that I didn't know if we'd get cell reception in the middle of the harbor, and even if we did, were we going to swim to shore and hail a cab back to the apartment? Either way, they didn't call while we were out.

It was an amazing time. There were free drinks and food and we sat on the deck of this huge catamaran and watched the sun set. It was so gorgeous and relaxing. And then we went home.

Aiden was asleep, and they assured us he had been a great kid. He had sat quietly all the way through "Finding Nemo". However, once the movie was over he ran around in circles with his blanket on his head and they couldn't get him to stop. Then he let the dog out. Then he jumped on our bed and pulled all the covers off. Then he peed himself. Then he refused to wear any clothes. They still insisted he was very nice.





Yeah. I was pretty mortified; I couldn't stop apologizing. Sean couldn't stop laughing. I hope we haven't scarred them too badly.

3 comments :

Tierney said...

Those cross-dressing pictures are definitely going to come back to haunt him!!!

Kel said...

Haha, that's a fantastic story. One time my mom made me write an apology letter to my babysitter because I was such a brat. Trust me, things could have been worse.

Vicki said...

sound familiar