Friday, June 12, 2009

Learning The Language



Every now and then I get a little nervous about how Aiden is doing speaking-wise. It's a part of my daily 'oh-my-gosh-we're-so-young-what-if-we're-doing-it-wrong?' worrying. I've learned that this worrying is usually unnecessary, and I realize all kids learn at a different pace, but a lot of the time we give in to Aiden's whole point-and-grunt method of asking for stuff without even trying to encourage him to use words. I've learned that the only way to alleviate worry is to do something about it, or realize it's out of your hands. Today I decided I really needed to work on taking enough time with him to focus on saying and repeating words, since this is something that he could benefit from.

At lunch, he was pointing at the banana on the plate.
I said: "banana"
He said: "majaba"
I said: "ba-na-na"
He said: "ba-ja-ma"
I said:"BA-NA-NA"
He, very happily, shouted: "BA-DA-DA!!!!"

So...I figure that's close enough for now.

3 comments :

Heather said...

Oh, he sounds like he's giving it such a good try!! That's all that's important for now.

T.P. Jefferson said...

I worried about that too, because my daughter was about 17, 18 months and still only said a few words. Then one day, she woke up and I couldn't shut her up!

For some kids, it's a gradual thing, for others it's a word explosion!

Little Aiden is trying so that's a great start! :)

CenzLuBellsMom said...

Awwww, it is so cute to hear the emerging language!!! Don't worry! You are doing a great job with the little guy!!! He is still so young, its great that he is attempting to repeat words, etc. Before you know it he will be talking all day, non-stop!! LOL!! Best of luck and have fun with his new language! It's makes great material for blog posts!!