Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Scene from Dinner

I don't know about you, but sometimes I have those moments of "I can't believe this is my family". I guess that could be a good thing if your family member has just done something like won a Penn-Faulkner award, or a Nobel peace prize or built an airplane out of recycled tinfoil.

Alas, none of the above happened. This happened instead: we were gathered around the dinner table and Aiden was refusing to eat anything. This happens occasionally and I usually say "well you're sure going to be hungry by breakfast!" and let him continue on his hunger strike. Sean really doesn't like to see Aiden refusing to eat. I got up to get something to drink and return to the table to see Aiden eating cut up meat out of Sean's hand. It was exactly like that scene out of A Christmas Story when the mom let's Ralphie eat his mashed potatoes like a dog, just so he'll eat. Sean's going on and on about what a good puppy Aiden is, and Aiden thinks it's hilarious and keeps eating food out his palm. I could not believe what I was seeing.

To make it even better, Aiden reached out to grab something and Sean said "Wow, this puppy even has extendable arms!".
I looked at him blankly. What are 'extendable arms'? Sensing my confusion, he clarified his statement by saying: "I meant disposable thumbs!".

I can't believe this is my family.

(To reference another movie, sometimes I feel like Goldie Hawn in "Overboard", especially on days like this. I'm certain I was meant to be lounging on my yacht, not scraping barbequed sausage out of a child's hair.)


A portrait of my nearly feral child and his master

If I didn't love them so darn much I'd say God sent me the wrong ones.

1 comment :

Vicki said...

Need to see more stories and pictures