Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Garden Party

Now that the weather is getting warmer, Sean and I have been trying to fix up the seriously neglected yard and gardens around the house. We haven't been able to do much of anything with them for the past two years so this year, now that we're all actually home, we are making up for lost time.

Last week Sean had three days off and we spent each day trekking to Lowe's and back, car trunk full of topsoil and mulch, and working outside. We've been wanting to plant a vegetable garden and finally worked out exactly where everything would go, but it required replanting several plants (by several I mean A LOT). i have never done much (okay, any) gardening in my life that wasn't under the direct tutelage of my mother or aunt so I've been kind of nervous about undertaking what seems like a rather large project.


Overall, everything seems to be going according to plan, if not slightly slower than I'd hoped it would. I'm finding that while I don't particularly enjoy the process (especially the way spiders and worms seems to pop out of nowhere) I really love the results which makes it worth it.


Aiden loves to help. By help I mean that he likes to take a sand shovel and rearrange topsoil or pick up worms and carry them around like a pet. It's been a fun family adventure and hopefully this summer we'll have a nice little vegetable garden to show for all the work.

1 comment :

Vicki said...

Aiden loves little worms... I will buy him silkworms for him to ...